Monday, September 7, 2009

What I Really Want out of Temple

Hi, my name is Justine Musick and I am currently a student at the Tyler School of Art. I transfered to Temple after spending two semesters studying fine arts at Bucks County Community College. I choose to go to Temple for three main reasons: because I can commute to school everyday- which saves money that would otherwise go towards dorms and meal plans-, because its tuition is one of the lowest in the area, and last but not least because it is home to the Tyler School of Art.

Until recently, I had no idea what I wanted to do as a career, I only knew that art was going to be the foundation for that decision. At Bucks, I developed my skills as an artists, and thought seriously about what path I wanted to take my art. I chose painting and drawing- my current major- because that was what I found most comfortable and inspiring. By the end of my spring semester I narrowed down my path again. I started to think about art restoration and applied for a summer course on the subject. Unfortunately, the course was cancelled due to a lack of interest from applicants, but I had already made the decision that I was going to move in that direction.

After doing some research and following what sounded appealing to me, (from a standpoint of interest as well as a good financial future), I stumbled upon architecture. As I investigated architecture more and more I began to feel like I really found what I was looking for. It got even sweeter when I turned to Temple and discovered that in 2010 the Architecture program is going to introduce a degree in Architectural Preservation.

I am now constantly daydreaming and brimming with excitement to start learning as an Architecture student. The only setback is that new students are only accepted in the fall semester. As a sophomore- with limited funds- this news is disheartening slightly because I will have to be in college longer than I expected. My only chance at avoiding that problem would be to wait for drop outs and convince someone to let me in the program ahead of others on the waiting list. I carry my portfolio book in my bag everyday just in case I catch the opportunity to talk to the suggested “someone” to whom various people have directed me.

For now, I am a sophomore Painting and Drawing major in the BFA program. To my advantage, my studio courses are Foundation Computers and Foundation 3-D, both of which will be very helpful for an architect. My other courses are part of the core curriculum and will transfer with me when I switch majors. I am excited to begin the classes I am enrolled in, and plan on taking full advantage of the BFA program because I know that it is a privilege to be accepted into it.


No comments:

Post a Comment